Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Grief and Injustice

A year ago today my Father Seymour Goodman became the victim of medical predation. Those we turned to to help him denied him that which is required to live. An intensive care unit was turned into an execution chamber, but unlike the rights extended to the most bloody-handed murderer, my Dad was granted no due process, right to appeal, or any chance at clemency. My Mother and I sought justice only to be turned away, first from our local prosecutor's office, only to be told the matter was "purely civil" and then by wrongful death and medical malpractice lawyers who declined to represent us because my Father's advanced age of ninety (90) made the cost of advancing the case more than we could recover. Powerful institutions can deprive individuals liberty and even life and have become a law unto themselves.

No comments: