Friday, January 16, 2009

Cornucopia of Emptiness

There is a time of plenty, but there is never plenty of time/ This flooded desert yields a treasure trove of deeply held regrets/ A bank vault filled with IOUs and debts/ A king's storehouse of guilt and shame/ Perhaps I should have changed my name/ I know no esoteric arts/ I haven't broken a thousand hearts/ But then I never ran off and left/ Or turned to a little theft/ I always believe I will win the next day/ That's why I pray you stay/ But I guess if you do go away/ I'll still have to go on with the play/ I suppose the show will go on even after both of us are gone/ On the downward slope you can hold on to hope/ Grab for the rope as the avalanche of dreams cascades down/ And you feel you are starting to drown/ Burned to a cinder, turned to ash/ When we have outlived our cash/ All that remains is our trash/ Well, now it's time to dash before our values begin to clash/ Don't leave annoyed, after all we still have this giant void/ Enjoy this wealth of poverty/Bereft of all our property/ Surrounded by this last lament/ Where to go when your last dollar is spent/ The air leaked out of the ball/ I am left to ask, "Did my life just stall?"/ Nobody has seen it all/ But we are in free fall.

No comments: