Friday, September 23, 2022

Not an Insurrection

The events of January 6 were not an "insurrection" or as I read of them today, "a Trump coup". There was indeed violence, much of which I believe was instigated by informants or agents of government. I witnessed police remove barriers and wave demonstrators into the Capitol on video. I saw flash-bang grenades fired into what had been to that time a peaceful crowd. Two protestors died after being close to those explosions. I watched another protester pushed over a ledge by police and falling a great height (the victim of the fall apparently survived). I studied the video of police beating Roseanne Boyland when she was down and defenseless and the folks they pushed on top of her, although her death was somehow attributed to drugs. I was especially horrified by the officer who shot Ashli Babbitt to death with no warning when she posed no threat. I wish the event had played out differently, but one fact seems undeniable, that in the nation than has the most heavily armed civilian population on earth with more than four hundred million guns in private hands, a real insurrection would have been a much more bloody affair. 

No comments: