Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wrath of God

I will be the first to admit that I am a sinner, albeit a penitent one. Yesterday, I spoke of earth's resilience in the context of the great Gulf spill, but could just as easily have directed my comments at the Iceland volcano or Mount St. Helens, or the latest earthquake to ravage China. We are beset with shaking, fire, and flood, and perhaps we more than summon some of it on ourselves. In many religious traditions, sin is erased with purification by water- baptism and the mikvah come to mind. The Lord can not be happy to see three thousand years of Abrahamic tradition of the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim faiths cast aside with domestic partnership, civil union, the mocking of the sanctified institution of marriage with the perversion called gay marriage. This even defies the Eastern traditions of the Buddha, the Sikh religion, and the Hindu faith. My home town, Nashville, Tennessee and the area around it is experiencing the worst flooding since my father arrived in 1938, maybe a hundred or thousand year flood that has many crying out for the Lord's intervention. I too cry out and beseech that only the sin be washed away, not more lives or property in our current time of testing.

No comments: