Sunday, September 3, 2023

On Lessons Learned

If you find yourself in a jewelry store in Mexico and the name is displayed in English as "Real" or "Honest", do not buy anything because nothing they are selling is what they represent it is. I speak from experience on this one. The staff may well try to ply you with alcohol. Do not accept. They are not offering you any favors. In fact, do not drink anything they try to give you unless it is in a sealed bottle from a reputable manufacturer, and you break the seal yourself. Do not accept the representations of any tour company that brought you to the premises because they are paid to bring you there and are given a kickback on anything you are conned into purchasing. If you are roped into buying an item (which I strongly discourage), do not use a debit card or cash. I was told when I made my mistake that they would not accept either credit card I brought from the States, but they accepted my debit card on the vastly overpriced fugazi they tricked me into buying after the tour company took us to a tequila distillery where I was generously supplied about eight shots as samples (and they probably are paid off to by both the guide and the jeweler you are driven to AFTER consuming all that free alcohol, which lowers your inhibitions and makes you more susceptible to transacting business with scoundrels). Then, I was welcomed to the jewelry shop with a large glass of tequila and given another by the gracious clerks as I pondered the purchase they were cajoling me to make. If you are tricked into buying, you will find at least if you used a credit card rather than a debit, you may later be able to dispute the charge and have a chance to be reimbursed, while with a debit card purchase, you are just out of luck (as you would be with cash).  It is futile (and even dangerous) to report fraud by a Mexican merchant against you as an American visitor because you are a gringo and whoever you report it to has likely taken a cut from the corrupt stores that are preying on tourists. If you seek help from the US embassy or consulate, you will likely hear there is nothing they can (will) do, perhaps followed by "you will know better next time". If you do travel to our Southern neighbor, I suggest caveat emptor. 

No comments: