Monday, September 18, 2023

First Pro Game

I had a friend invite me to a professional football game yesterday. I had never attended before, not because I do not like football, but because I believed the folks in my hometown of Nashville were exploited by the team ownership and our own mayor and council when the team moved here from Texas by way of Memphis and Nashvillians found themselves paying for the Titan stadium right out of our water bills. More recently, I tuned out pro sports more generally because I hated their promotion of the BLM movement and the way almost every athlete had been taking a knee during our National Anthem. I noticed several of the Chargers players kneeling in the end zone close to me before the Anthem, but honestly do not know what their motivation was or if it had anything to do with the George Floyd event. I did not notice any unpatriotic antics during Kristin Chenoweth's stirring rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner. I enjoyed the contest, the camaraderie, the festivities around the ballpark, and say with joy and relief, the home team won! 

No comments: