Friday, January 6, 2012

Not So Good

While many staff members have been diligent and professional in the care of my Father, others have been less so. Certain physicians have discouraged us all along from further intervention to preserve Dad's life and even questioned what my Dad had left to do, leaving us to justify his continuing existence. One physician said he could deliver Father "a gentle exit", which to me is precariously close to euthanasia. One nurse has compromised my Dad's prospect for recovery, if not survival, missing a scheduled blood sugar check on Sunday, allowing Father's sugar to fall to thirty-four (34) in an intensive care unit, causing or worsening his situational psychosis and leaving the door closed to his room, enabling him to extricate himself from soft restraints and detach both his trache collar and tube later that same day. The same registered nurse treated him today, and we had further issues. I pray we make the right decisions regarding my Father's future treatment but I see no way to remain at St. Thomas.

No comments: