Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Feeling Their Oats

I dare not make a blanket statement about public employees, as I realize that in every large organization, there are dedicated people, but their morale must really be sapped when because of the structure of government employee unions, they see those who are derelict, compensated equally, if not more, advanced when they do not merit promotion, and minority status or national origin, confer preference over hard work and ability (affirmative action). Today, for the second time in three months, our city's recycling program has been haphazard and left refuse strewn over my yard and more important, blowing around the street I live on which happens to be a US Highway. They have created a road hazard and a danger for me when I had to dart around traffic to abate it. If I had tossed newspapers to blow into oncoming traffic, I would have ended up in environmental court and deserved it. The attitude when I called the city was to either mock my predicament or give me the call another number runaround. This is what happens when public employees are no longer public servants but view themselves as our lords and masters with an ironclad tenure of a job for life with a progressive mayor who backs them, right up to a US President who feels if you are not a part of the team pulling with him in your government or union job, you can go screw yourself. It is a shame that our formerly great nation is devolving to the extent that you need a writ of mandamus or a media crew by your side to get public workers to do the job that you are being bled dry for with your tax payments.

No comments: