Friday, November 14, 2008

Time Space Continuum

A friend of mine had a twenty year old Siamese cat. She always talked about how spry Yul was. He would chase his little fuzzy ball on a string, tear his yarn to pieces, make the bell in the tiny plastic orb ring. My friend's circle of acquaintance would marvel at her old cat. One evening at the cocktail hour, her professor colleagues were being entertained and astonished by super kitty. I noticed one doctor of philosophy so engrossed in feline antics that he had eschewed the brie and was devouring cat kibble left casually at the table for when Yul did a leaping daredevil display of hunger. He voted Obama. Finally, I could no longer be silent. I said, "The cat does not know he's twenty(20),the cat does not know what day it is, what week it is, what year it is. I'm not even sure the cat knows he's a cat-the way he is feted he probably thinks he's the King of Thailand." I haven't been invited back, and I feel bad. I heard Yul didn't wake up Monday.

No comments: