Monday, November 17, 2008

Car Crash III

The first fatal crash I happened upon was at a busy Nashville intersection. I was once again a passenger with a couple of buddies. John is now a professor at a community college in Georgia. Mike who I will describe later is no longer amongst us. We heard a thunderous report as we drove up and saw a crumpled Nissan Sentra and a more or less intact Ford F-100. The couple in the pickup and we merry three rushed to the remains of the import. Shortly thereafter, the first gendarme arrived. He would not assist the injured driver of the Nissan. I suppose it was at that time an early fear of AIDS. I had taken basic and advance lifesaving at Red Cross and knew CPR. I removed my white undershirt- the cleanest garment at hand and held direct pressure on the young man's chest where he was bleeding still behind the steering wheel. An ambulance arrived, and the professionals took over the life support efforts. The officer took our statements and details, but from the back of John's Maverick I had not seen much. I heard the driver I had tried to save later expired.

No comments: