Sunday, March 4, 2012

Finishing Off Patients

What a feeling of satisfaction a surgeon must have knowing his skilled hands have saved a patient's life. How can a so-called palliative care physician ever feel anything but utterly useless, knowing that they never will experience the satisfaction of saying "I saved that patient". I always had the quaint notion doctors and hospitals existed to sustain and preserve every individual human life if at all possible. My Dad fell prey to the same "care" a race horse receives if it breaks a leg on the track. I will always be filled with revulsion over the brutal treatment we and he suffered at Vanderbilt.

1 comment:

F4Dude said...

Vanderbilt? Did you say, "Vanderbilt?" I went to that facility in 1991 with a stomach ailment and was diagnosed and treated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It was actually a gall bladder that had to be excised!