Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Feeling Just Ducky

This morning as the ground around our home became saturated with what we prayed would not be our second consecutive year of thousand year flood, our reliable Marvin (named for a late uncle) Mallard made his rainy day appearance. He swam gracefully just steps from the front door in what before these alarmingly regular "monsoon" rains used to be the green, green grass of home, which I have now taken to calling our low maintenance swimming pool. I almost thought the poor old duck was going to ring the door bell and request an umbrella. Well, all seemed to be recovering relatively well until I went to collect the mail, walking on water (or in it as it were), and I noticed a wire down all the way across the front yard that had even dislodged the mailbox which instead of facing the street was now askance and facing downtown Nashville. Not wanting to be a hero and unceremoniously join Osama bin Laden, I assumed it was a live wire and came in to alert the power company. So, that is how I spent most of the day, surviving another adventure in Third World living in what purports to be the most exclusive zip code in Tennessee.

No comments: